Skip to main content

News

10/16/2020 Family Update from James Elsasser, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools (English/Español)
Posted 10/16/20

Dear Parents and Guardians,

As we finish our sixth week of school, I would like to begin by thanking you for all you have done to support your children through distance learning in phase 1. We know it’s not easy and it really does take a village! We truly appreciate the patience and flexibility you have shown as we started the 2020-2021 school year.

The most popular question I am asked is my thought about when we may be able to move to phase 2 which would allow students to return to in-class instruction in a hybrid model. As you know, we continue to receive updated guidance from the California Department of Education, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (DPH), and the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE). We also monitor the COVID positivity rates, both in Los Angeles County as well as in Claremont. We want to be extremely cautious before reopening, as the safety of our students and staff continues to be our top priority. We also do not want to go through the transition of moving from phase 1 to phase 2 only to have to return to phase 1 a few weeks later due to increased COVID positivity rates. Therefore, we are taking a slow and cautious approach to moving to phase 2.

If LA County moves from the purple to red tier; if the DPH allows schools to reopen in a hybrid model; and if the COVID positivity rates in Claremont remain low, we are making plans to move to phase 2 and implement a hybrid program after the winter holidays. I realize there are a lot of “ifs” which can cause frustration; however, we are committed to only transitioning to phase 2 if we are confident the data supports such a move. Assuming we do move to phase 2 after the winter holidays, we will open elementary schools on the day we are scheduled to return from winter break, Tuesday, January 5, and will open El Roble, CHS, and SAHS on the first day of the second semester, February 1.

As you may recall, we engaged a Task Force that worked throughout the month of June with the primary goal of creating a schedule for a hybrid model. Shortly after the schedule was approved by the Board of Education, the decision was made to start this school year in phase 1. Now that we are six weeks into the new school year and have a better understanding of daily synchronous instruction requirements as well as cleaning requirements, I have asked the Task Force to reconvene to once again discuss the hybrid student schedule as there may be more efficient options based on current guidelines. The Task Force is scheduled to meet on Monday, October 19 and will most likely meet two or three times. If they make the decision to recommend a schedule other than what was approved by the Board of Education on July 8, we will take that updated schedule to the Board for approval in the coming weeks. I will continue to send Family Updates as new information becomes available and will share the date of any Board meeting where action would be taken on anything related to phase 2.

On behalf of the Board of Education, I would once again like to extend our appreciation for all you continue to do on behalf of your children each and every day.

Sincerely,

Jim Elsasser, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools

 

---Español---

Estimados padres de familia y tutores:

Al término de nuestra sexta semana de clases, me gustaría comenzar por agradecer todo lo que han hecho para apoyar a sus hijos a través del aprendizaje a distancia en la fase 1. ¡Sabemos que esto no es fácil y que se requiere de todo un pueblo! Realmente apreciamos la paciencia y flexibilidad que han demostrado desde el comienzo del año escolar 2020-2021.

La pregunta más popular que me hacen es la de cuándo podríamos pasar a la fase 2 que permitiría a los estudiantes volver a la instrucción en clase en un modelo híbrido. Como ustedes saben, continuamos recibiendo orientación actualizada del Departamento de Educación de California, Departamento de Salud Pública del Condado de Los Ángeles (o DPH), y la Oficina de Educación del Condado de Los Ángeles (o LACOE). También supervisamos las tasas de positividad COVID, tanto en el condado de Los Ángeles como en Claremont. Queremos ser extremadamente cautelosos antes de una reapertura, ya que la seguridad de nuestros estudiantes y personal sigue siendo nuestra máxima prioridad. Tampoco queremos hacer la transición de la fase 1 a la fase 2 sólo para tener que regresar a la fase 1 unas semanas después debido al aumento de las tasas de positividad COVID. Por lo tanto, estamos adoptando un método lento y cauteloso para pasar a la fase 2.

Si el condado de Los Ángeles pasa del nivel morado al rojo; si el DPH permite que las escuelas vuelvan a abrir en un modelo híbrido; y si las tasas de positividad de COVID en Claremont siguen siendo bajas, estaríamos haciendo planes para pasar a la fase 2 e implementar un programa híbrido después de las vacaciones de invierno. Me doy cuenta de que hay muchos "si" que pueden causar frustración; sin embargo, estamos comprometidos a realizar la transición a la fase 2 solo si estamos seguros de que los datos respaldan tal movimiento. Suponiendo que pasemos a la fase 2 después de las vacaciones de invierno, abriríamos las escuelas primarias el día que está programado para regresar de las vacaciones de invierno, o sea el martes 5 de enero, y abriríamos las escuelas El Roble, CHS y SAHS el primer día del segundo semestre, o sea el 1 de febrero.

Como recordarán, reunimos a un grupo de trabajo (task force) que durante todo el mes de junio trabajó con el objetivo principal de crear un programa/horario para un modelo híbrido. Poco después de que el programa fuera aprobado por la Junta de Educación, se tomó la decisión de comenzar este año escolar en la fase 1. Ahora que estamos a seis semanas del nuevo año escolar y tenemos una mejor comprensión de los requisitos diarios de instrucción sincrónica, así como los requisitos de limpieza, he pedido al Grupo de Trabajo que se reúna para discutir de nuevo el programa/horario híbrido de los estudiantes, ya que puede haber opciones más eficientes basadas en las normas actuales. Está previsto que el Grupo de Tarea se reúna el lunes 19 de octubre, y lo más probable es que se reunirá dos o tres veces. Si toman la decisión de recomendar un programa diferente al aprobado por la Junta de Educación el 8 de julio, llevaremos ese programa actualizado a la Junta para su aprobación en las próximas semanas. Continuaré actualizando a las familias a medida que haya nueva información disponible y compartiré la fecha de cualquier reunión de la Junta donde se tomaría acción sobre cualquier cosa relacionada con la fase 2.

En nombre de la Junta de Educación, quisiera expresar una vez más nuestro agradecimiento por todo lo que continúan haciendo por sus hijos todos y cada uno de los días.

Atentamente,

Jim Elsasser, Ed.D., Superintendente de Escuelas